Clarkson is a boutique 18-attorney public interest law firm that curates, cultivates, and champions cases to win justice for real people. We represent the underdog. We imagine a fair future for all people and fight for what is right across a diverse set of societal injustice categories. We battle industry titans who engage in false advertising, securities violations, data and privacy breaches, unfair employment practices, and anti-competitive conduct. Sometimes underestimated and overlooked, we aspire to be the most forward thinking, purpose driven law firm in the world, which naturally results in a way of working that is much different than your classic law firm.
If you are passionate about defending the underdog and disrupting the law industry through creative, fresh thinking, this is the place for you. We are steadily growing due to of our adaptive business model and core differentiators when it comes to our people. We pride ourselves on: (1) our authenticity—we are truly diverse and committed to a larger purpose; (2) our agility—we are able to pivot, experiment, and take risks where other firms can’t; and (3) our culture—we cultivate a uniquely magnetic experience, lifestyle, and team. Our firm is at an inflection point: We need to accelerate our internal capabilities to increase our ability to impact our communities and the world, which is why you’ve found yourself contemplating this role. Let’s get into it
We are looking for a well-rounded, empathetic, and experienced people leader to help build out end-to-end HR capabilities to support Clarkson’s future growth. This is a unique opportunity to join the leadership team in fueling an established human-centered culture and help build a purpose driven company that’s primary mission is to impact society. Clarkson is based in Malibu, California and we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and flexible / hybrid work environment—because we’re focused on meeting the talent where they are, and this is an incredibly important position we are looking to fill. Ultimately, we are looking for an experienced HR Director to build out and standardize our HR function—from building out a talent and recruitment strategy, to implementing new ways of working and processes across the firm, to standardizing an empowering onboarding process across the business. These are just a few examples of the impact this role would be accountable for.
Scope and Responsibilities, not limited to:
- Structure, build out, and standardize key processes and ways for working across the HR life cycle (Recruit, Train, Evaluate, Promote, Retain).
- Oversee the firm’s talent acquisition and recruiting strategy, and manage recruitment from candidate identification, screening, job posting development, interview process, to hiring.
- Develop a streamlined Onboarding process that empowers each of our employees with Clarkson’s mission, vision, and strategy—up front, in a personalized way.
- Help to further build out and substantiate the rules of engagement for Clarkson’s business (compliance).
- Streamlined processes for staffing coordination across attorney teams to ensure each team is supported to adequately defend the underdog.
- Build out a consistent performance management process throughout each level / position that makes up the Clarkson family.
- Manage and stand-up action teams to drive employee wellness, diversity & inclusion, and an overall 360-degree employee experience.
- Use a hands-on approach to empower our people to manage, mentor, and coach their teams in a human centered way.
- Develop an open employee feedback system to create a safe environment for employee questions and concerns to be answered in a timely fashion.
- Help stand up and drive change management across internal initiatives to empower Clarkson to evolve and grow as a firm.
Skill Set & Experience:
- 5+ Years in Human Resource Management.
- Experience across the HR life cycle from Recruitment, to onboarding, through performance evaluation, and people management – HR Director / Manager role preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, ADP, and / or other HR Management Systems.
- Nice to have: Strong understanding of Employment law (federal, state, local).
- Nice to have: Professional certification (PHR, SPHR, GPHR, SHRM).
In addition to your competitive salary, medical/dental plan, and 401(k), you will be eligible for the following firm-paid benefits:
Clarkson’s underdog spirit is what we have in common with our clients. Like the clients and communities we represent, we are truly diverse. This is the thought behind our tagline We are them. As change makers, we are committed to representing more through diversity and inclusion. Seize your opportunity to Represent more.
- Long-term and short-term disability coverage
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Firm-paid holidays
- Parental Leave
- Health & wellness stipend
- Holiday bonus